Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Remembering Grandpa...

I don't have a lot of memories of my Grandpa Chuck, even though he just passed away this morning. When I was a kid, I have vague memories of a big bear of a man who was very particular about things, like his pool and his car. I remember his laugh. It was full and hearty, like my Auntie Emma's. 

I think I was around 13 when he had a stroke, taking away his ability to communicate normally. It also paralyzed one side of his body, leaving him unable to do things for himself and making him completely reliant on others. For my grandpa, this could not have been easy. He was a strong man who I'm sure didn't like to depend on other people. I remember Grandpa being a golfer. I remember him studying the Bible and working on his car. And playing music, he and Grandma would play and sing beautiful Hawaiian music. 

After the stroke, all of that was gone for him. I can't even imagine living close to two decades of your life trapped in a new body and mind after living a normal life for so long. I know he shed countless tears of frustration and grief as he came to accept his new life. I can imagine that it was very humbling for him to have to be taken care of, even at the most basic level.

I don't feel sad today for Grandpa. He wouldn't want that. I do feel sad for my family, knowing that there is sorrow and a void left by his passing. Most of them were closer to Grandpa than I was. But I imagine my Grandpa is up in heaven now, singing and playing Hawaiian music with his friends and family who had passed on before him. I bet he's got a tee time in the morning. He's loving every minute of being able to walk and talk the way he used to. He's probably dancing tonight, I can just picture him.

I love you Grandpa.

5 comments:

danakat said...

I was going to ask you about your grandfather right when Jon started to cry. How sad that the stroke affected him so severely for that long. You're in my thoughts.

Quincy Sorensen said...

I love what you wrote about your grandpa and the picture, too. I've been wanting to find out more about your Hawaiian heritage. You're in my thoughts, too.

Jenni said...

Lisa, so sorry for your loss but what a beautiful tribute! You are in my thoughts - hope you are healing nicely - I have been meaning to give you a call but by the time I babysit all day long and then get home and get my other stuff done.... I do think of you often though.

Wendyrful said...

Lisa, What a sweet tribute. I would like to think of him dancing and singing, and enjoying his body with freedom as well. My mother had a stroke along with getting acute pancreatitis, and she only lived two more weeks, but I remember at one point thinking seh ws going to live but with a disabled body and how hard that would have been on her... Thanks for sharing.

Shannon said...

Gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that your Grampa passed away. This really is a great tribute to him and the life he had. Love you tons Lisa!!!