I signed the two big boys up for a Sibling Class at our hospital. It was the cutest thing ever. They were asked to bring a doll (or teddy bear) and a onesie to paint for their new baby brother or sister, so we packed up their little backpacks and they were ready to go! Jon wasn't old enough, they had to be three. Even though they've experienced a baby coming into the family before, I don't know how much they remember, so I though this would be a good thing for them (and for me, to remember what we should be talking about and preparing for!)
The first thing they did was have everyone introduce themselves and their kids and tell when they were due and if they were going to have a boy or girl. We weren't the only ones with more than one kid there, but the only ones that already had a little brother or sister at home and were having another one! I get fun reactions when I tell people my kids are 5,4, and 2, and have one due in August!
They watched a little video that talked all about the process- about how the baby grows in Mommy's uterus, and about preparing for the hospital, being away from Mom and Dad, and taking care of a new baby. It was really cute, and perfect information for their age. My favorite part was that they talked about how babies need a lot of care because they can't do anything on their own, and sometimes you would have to wait for Mom or Dad to do things for you, but they love you just as much.
The teacher read them a book about having a new baby in your family...

They learned how to put a diaper on and how to hold and feed their baby....


They used paint and stamps to decorate a onesie to give to their baby sister when she comes...

Then, we went on a little tour of the hospital, starting with the cool shiny elevator. So exciting!

We got to walk over to the next building over the big bridge. They thought this was cool, because we had seen the other bridges crossing the road (lots of connected buildings at our hospital) as we drove up there, and Ben had asked what they were and we talked all about them. They though they were cool, so going in one was especially fun.

We visited the hospital nursery and got to see a couple of brand new babies...

And see both the delivery and recovery rooms where they'll come visit Mom and Dad and the new baby sister...

But most exciting of all- the TRAM ride! We got on and road to the other end and back and boy howdy was that the best thing ever! Dave will have to take them for another one when they come see the baby.


After the class, they got a certificate, and a "big brother" button from their teacher.

Chris insisted that his "baby" needed to wear the onesie that he painted...

They both had a good time and learned a lot. I was impressed by all the things they remembered and told me on the way home (over ice cream cones from McD's).

Daddy had to work that evening, so we picked up Jon from Grandma and Grandpa's and Ben and Chris were both so proud to tell them all about their class and show them all the things they brought home. It was so cute. I'm so glad they're excited, since I'm sure it's going to be a huge adjustment for all of us.















6 comments:
What a great idea! Your boys are just the cutest!!
They are going to be amazing big brothers to that little girl!
Sad I didn't get to chat with you yesterday. :( Hopefully I can find a minute to call you soon.
Text me if you need anything.
So cute! I love them holding their babies and certificates. ;) I understand the "looks" that you probably got about the # of kiddos. lol I get them all the time when I take all 5 of mine anywhere. ;)
I am sure they are all going to love that new baby!
That sibling class is the cutest thing. We did it with Brielle and Brooklyn and they had such a great time. Your boys will be the sweetest big brothers!
I think this was a fantastic idea. You're smart to do things that make the transition easier. Cute boys!
what a great idea! what little sweethearts!
Post a Comment