Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Big ouchie!

We had our first experience with stitches the weekend before last. Sunday morning, we were getting ready for church and Jon fell and hit his head on the edge of the train table. I thought it wasn't a big deal for a split second, since the kid bumps his head daily, but then I saw the blood. It wasn't too deep, but deep enough and in just the right place that he needed to be stitched up.

We were at Urgent Care down the road for just about three hours. He was SUCH a trooper. It had stopped bleeding quickly, and by the time we went in, he seemed fine, except for the gaping wound above his eye. He sat with me and read books, looked out the window, played with his toy car...

Getting the stitches was so sad. I asked when we first got there, how they did it- and they said if we took him to the Pediatric ER across town, they would sedate him, but there they would just restrain him and use local anesthetic. Since it was only a couple of stitches, we stayed, hoping for a shorter wait time.

They put some numbing medication on the wound and had to leave it on for about 20 minutes or so. I had to make sure it didn't ooze out into his eye, so I laid him back and told him he could go night-night if he wanted. I rocked him a bit, and amazingly he took a little nap on my lap while we waited.

Photobucket

After that, they swaddled him in a sheet, and I held his arms while two nurses had his head and feet. They made me sit down, because I guess a lot of parents pass out in that situation. I did what they told me to, although I don't know if I've ever passed out in my life. We both did fine. It was pretty quick, but sad. Jon cried, but was really brave about it. A few times, he stopped and looked up, trying to figure out what was going on up there (there was a drape over part of his face and he was peeking out at me from under it). Afterwards, he had some pretty big shaky sighs, but was great. He cheered right up and had some crackers and juice on the way home and jabbered about things.

Photobucket

The big boys came along later in the week when we went to the Pediatrician to have the stitches out- and I was so impressed, they stood right up by the doctor and watched him pull out the stitches, they were so interested! I would have been so grossed out as a kid.

Here's hoping we don't have to do that again for a long while! 
(Or ever, that would be okay, though not as likely)

9 comments:

Lisha said...

Yeah, seeing as you have boys, I am sure this is going to be the first of many trips like this! I've only had to do it once with Emma, and she was much older (5) (oh, and my mom took Carden to get stitches when I was in the hospital having Nathan), I think I'd be a lot more uneasy if it was my baby since they don't quite understand. Sounds like he did great though! He's so cute, even with a few stitches!

Jenni said...

Oh No! Poor little guy! That's the worst part - having to hold them still while they suture - and in my experience as a med assistant - it isn't so much as the parent passes out but that they get in the way trying to soothe the child. Glad he is on the mend and hoping you don't have to do that again for a LONG while!

Karen said...

This makes me sad. He seems so little to have such an expierence. I am glad he and you survived.

Terri said...

what a tropper, hope it is the first and last of that for you BUT 3 boys?? just keep your fingers crossed!

Bianca said...

It's so sad for them when things like that happen, but I'm glad that he is doing good! What an experience!!

Quincy Sorensen said...

Lisa, you have such a cute, precious boy. I just love him. I am sorry he had stitches, but it sounds like he (and mom!) couldn't have done any better with the situation. Hope you're out of urgent care for a very long time. :)

Sarah (and a few others) said...

Oh, poor little Jon. What a trooper- that just breaks my heart.

Natalie said...

Oh, it's so sad to see Jon with such an ouchie. I am amazed at how well he did. And I, too, hope you don't have to do this again, ever! :)

Love the new header pics. Too cute!

Christi said...

How sad that Jon had that happen to him! My Madeline had almost the same thing happen on the other side of her face by her eye and she still remembers how it hurt when they stitched it up. Ethan had to get stitches under his bottom lip while we were in Hawaii and my parents were babysitting. It was so hard not to be able to be there with him. Hope you won't have to deal with anything like that again!