Friday, January 8, 2010

Mmm... hot chocolate.


Originally, I was bugged that there was no good hot chocolate mix available in Alabama (Stephen's). The first winter I even brought two big cans back with me from Utah. The next winter, I ordered some from Amazon. Then I came to realize that I don't really like the instant stuff that much. I also am not a fan of any of the homemade mixes that I've tried (although I found a recipe that looks promising, I need to try it!). I'm slightly hooked on Starbucks hot chocolate now, but that can be pricey, plus I'm not going to load all my kids up just for that. SO I googled one day. I don't know about anyone else but I always thought homemade hot chocolate would be kind of more work than it's worth. And it is, if you do it on the stove, but the microwave makes it easy as pie. I'm probably the last one to know this, but in case you wanted to know, I'm sharing. It's so cold and we just had the BEST hot chocolate topped with whipped cream (for me) and marshmallows (for the boys).

Take a 2 cup glass measuring pitcher and mix together:
1/4 c. hot water
2 T. Cocoa powder (I've tried a few and prefer Nestle for this)
2  T. Sugar


Zap this in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Stir well (I use a whisk to get it nice and smooth)
Then whisk in milk to the 2 cup line.
Heat to your desired temperature (1-3 mins).
(Makes 2 cups)

Voila- delicious hot chocolate, a la Starbucks (well, I think it is- you decide! Add whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup and you'll think you're there....) I think it just tastes less of that corn syrupy sweet and just good. And it doesn't taste like just warming milk and adding Nesquik- it's just better. Also, although I wouldn't call it healthy, it is more wholesome- none of the added filler junk. You could probably use artificial sweetener if that's your thing, less sugar would also work, and you can definitely use raw sugar, just make sure to dissolve it with the water in the first steps.

Enjoy!

(PS. I know I haven't really blogged. I'm going to work on that, there is much to tell. Go get yourself some nice hot chocolate and check back later ;)

(PPS. Why is this room so cold?)

5 comments:

pitbull said...

Hi, Lisa: I just tried this, and you're right - it's the closest to Starbucks I've tasted. Now if I could just warm up....

Natalie said...

I can't wait to try this and I can't wait to check back later for more...

Sarah (and a few others) said...

Oooohh, you are the BEST! We are out of Cocoa mix, and I am NOT going to the store, and so hey presto! Here you come with the solution to all our problems. Thank you!

danakat said...

I love hot chocolate. I drink it in the summer. I think I'll post about my love affair. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Bianca said...

I used to think that maybe I had turned into a hot chocolate snob since I felt the same way about no good hot chocolate mix available in AL...I'm so glad that it's not just me!!! I'm going to have to give this a try. And yes....it is cooooold!!!!