Friday, October 16, 2009

Arches!

How can you even put into words how amazing it is to see natural wonders like these? We were able to spend a morning in Arches on a whim. We hadn't really planned out our traveling days very well, but we had left time each day to find somewhere fun to stop. We ended up getting through Kansas and Colorado faster than we thought so we did a little extra driving and stayed overnight in Moab, visiting Arches National Park for a few hours the next morning.


Photobucket

We hiked up towards this arch, which was a little tricky, but the boys had a great time trying. I was telling Ben about how all this stuff was created by Heavenly Father, and we were talking about how very cool it all was.

Photobucket

I kind of wasn't thinking about potty breaks and suddenly we had an emergency on our hands and we weren't close to the bathrooms. Well, I hurried down to the car with Ben, having to carefully make our way down these huge rocks, when Ben decided it was quite a hassle when you have to go, and told me, "Heavenly Father shouldn't have made these so big!"

Photobucket


Photobucket

Jon was happy as can be in his backpack. One of the definite blessings on this trip that I was very grateful for was that despite his lack of sleep before the trip (and some nights on the trip) and a some strenuous activity, Dave didn't mess up his knee once, and for the most part kept awake, so he was able to do 99.9% of the driving, which was good. He prefers to drive, and I prefer him to drive too!

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

A friend of Dave's told us about Sand Arch, which he said not to miss, our kids would love it. He was totally right. It was a big sandbox to play in! They didn't want to leave!

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

Under the arch, I didn't get a good shot of the arch itself. (Dear Santa, I need a new zoom lens).

Photobucket

It just makes you want to dance!

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

It's always fun when someone offers to take a picture of all of you :)


Photobucket

And this one with my iPhone. I wish the kind person had been able to get the shot with my SLR (she tried, bless her heart for even offering!), because it turned out cuter but it's terrible quality!

Photobucket

We watched a documentary last week about the National Parks that made us want (even more) to see lots more of them with our kids. And also made me wish I knew I put that cool NP passport that we bought in the Grand Canyon.... I'll have to find it before our next trip so we don't miss out on any more stamps!

Photobucket

9 comments:

Shannon said...

I love it! Your pictures make everything look so beautiful! I'm not a huge fan of southern Utah - I prefer lots of green - but it looks amazing! That last picture of Jon is so cute!

danakat said...

I can't imagine how amazing that must have been to actually see that landscape.

Jon's dimples are out of control!!

Natalie said...

I love your pictures! These are amazing! Your boys are so stinkin' cute!

shari said...

Beautiful pictures! I love Moab.

kg said...

I'm loving all this diverse cross country landscape! Mark has a road trip mapped out back west as well...I keep saying no, Grace is too small...seeing all this makes me rethink it :) How fun!

Wendyrful said...

Gorgeous pic's! Gorgeous colors! WOW!!! what fun!
I never used to think I'd like the desert, but after living in the desert for 6 years... there is just a beauty there, that is hard to truly describe! It is really amazing.

Stephen and Jeanne said...

The last pic of Jon. So sweet. I love arches too! There's nothing else like it. I didn't know about the NP passport. That sounds fun...I'll have to get one for my guys since we love national parks so much. I'm so glad you guys braved this trip with 3 little guys...what great family memories you'll have!

Bianca said...

Oh I love arches. Beautiful pictures too!!

BRINLEY & HADLEY'S MOM said...

This picture is priceless! I love this little man! He is gorgeous!