Monday, June 29, 2009

The Beach!

Over Father's Day weekend, we headed down to THE BEACH for a much needed mini-vacay. It was so fun. The area was beautiful, the sky was blue... it was about 100 degrees...

The first day we were there, we took a walk along the beach. Dave was hoping to go further down to an undeveloped part of the beach we went to that day, but it wasn't a very easy walk for the boys, so we ended up just walking back up the beach. They loved it. Jon was so happy to be in his backpack and not interested in the water that time.



The boys explored and found rocks and shells and got braver and braver until they were going out into the water ready to swim. We were all pretty wet and sandy by the time we left- including me, who had to grab Ben as he walked off the edge of the little drop off a little ways into the water. Scared me to death!


Such a beautiful beach! This is Johnson Beach in Perdido Key, Florida. We looked at some different areas and were really drawn to this area. The part of Perdido that we stayed in was way less commercialized and just felt more authentic. We really liked it.


We didn't get back to the beach until the next morning (all Dave's fault). We hit a different beach (I think it was Perdido something beach) which we had almost to ourselves. It wasn't very crowded, and very fun for all of us. Again, it was realllly hot, like over 100. I was constantly giving everyone drinks and reapplying the sunscreen. No one got sick, but I got a little sunburned. Apparently my sunscreen wasn't very effective the first day (on my arms) and the second day I put it on before taking off my tank top that was over my swimsuit, so I got a nice burn in the middle of my back.






Jon hung around on the blanket playing in the sand and checking out the birds. He even mimicked the sound the birds were making. He liked watching the other boys too. After another attempt, he decided he liked the water and also loved crawling around on the wet sand near the water's edge. He was so cute.














The boys loved playing in the water and the sand. We started a big sand castle but didn't get to finish it before we left.





















The beach wiped them out big time.




We also did a little swimming at the pool where we were staying. We rented a fun villa that we really enjoyed. We've found that we prefer houses/ condos/ villas/ cabins to hotel rooms when were going for a few days or more. Much easier with the kids.








Jon could not get enough of the screened porch at our villa. He would have just played out there all day if we let him. I just love this picture... family, does this baby look like anyone you know??



We had some good food while we were there. My favorite was this little hole-in-the-wall place called "Hub Stacey's"... it was on the Intercoastal waterway (I think the locals call it "the river"- the town is on a long barrier island with the IW on one side and the ocean on the other). The guy at our rental office recommended the hummus, so I had to try it. It was KILLER. So good. Now I want to find the perfect hummus recipe. So then I had this shrimp salad flatbread sandwich with loaded-baked-potato salad. Wow. That's all I have to say. So if you ever are down that way- Hub Stacey's. Or wherever you are, take Rachael Ray's advice and ask the locals where to eat.

We kept seeing these little stands advertising "Louisiana Snowballs" and the whole time I hoped that they were really good... so the last day we got some and NOPE, nothing like Hawaiian shave ice. Just hard crappy snow cones. So I posted a picture on Facebook of the boys with their snowballs and mentioned my disappointment. It wasn't long before my dear brother was posting pictures and bragging about the oh-so authentic shave ice stand they got in Provo near their house and go to all the time. So jealous :( Seriously considering the purchase of a high quality ice shaver for our house.



Even though it was a disappointment, it was nice and cold and the boys thought it was a fun treat (even though neither ate much of it, it was so very sugary).


There was a big family from Louisiana staying in three of the villas by ours and they were so dang sweet. We didn't really get a chance to meet them before that last morning, but Dave and the boys were up on the balcony as we were headed out and I grabbed my camera to snap a picture of them, when the lady said, oh you go get in picture and my daughter will take one with all of you. Then she had us come down and get a couple more on the porch and they sat and chatted with us about the area and the things they had found. They were so nice. I am seriously grateful, as silly as it seems. Of course I love pictures, but I'm never in any and we so rarely get one with all of us. And to actually get a cute shot.... I could not be any happier about it!



And just the boys. Happy Father's Day to the best daddy!


Three happy beach boys...


And remember Jon's love of the porch? He decided it would be a great place to get brave and really start walking. He kept pulling himself up and taking several steps before he would fall. Now he's walking like a pro!

He was worn out on the way home.... not just from the beach and the walking but probably also from the first two nights of screaming hysteria from being overtired and not wanting to go to sleep at the villa. But that's a story for another day ;)

We had a lovely time. We can't wait to go back!

4 comments:

pitbull said...

What a fun commentary on what sounds like a wonderfully fun weekend. And the picturs are great! Wish I could get to know your boys more than just through their pictures....auntie

Terri said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time. The pictures are beautiful, you got some really great shots.

Kim Mayfield said...

What a beautiful family you have... and your little boys are just precious!

Natalie said...

I love these beach pics. It was fun to read about your stay, next time, we're going with you! :)